- mail order
- mail order ˌmail ˈorder noun [uncountable] COMMERCEa method of buying and selling in which the buyer chooses goods at home, either from a catalogue (= a book containing pictures and descriptions of goods for sale) or from the Internet, and has them sent to their home:
• I buy most of my software by mail order.
• a mail-order catalogue
• a mail-order house (= a company that sends goods direct from a warehouse to customers )— mail-order verb [intransitive, transitive] :
• CD ROMs can be mail-ordered too.
* * *mail order UK US (also mail-order) noun [U] COMMERCE► a way of buying goods in which you choose what you want, usually from a catalogue or from a website, and it is sent to you by mail: »
There are three methods of buying meat: supermarkets, butchers, and mail order.through/by mail order »
She started a business selling clothes by mail order.mail order business/company/supplier »
Our mail order business is slowly taking over our in-store sales.»
For mail order sales call this number.mail-order verb [T]► »
Mail-ordered goods accounted for much of the increase in sales.
Financial and business terms. 2012.